Tuesday 19 January 2016

Michael Caine (@themichaelcaine): 'Wife saved my life'

http://www.film-news.co.uk/images/news/Michael-Caine.jpg
Sir Michael Caine would have died long ago if his wife hadn’t stopped his heavy drinking.

The 82-year-old actor tied the knot with Shakira in 1973 and has made it no secret how in love he is with the brunette beauty. But in a new interview with Radio Times magazine, Michael has revealed his spouse saved his life by supporting him during a period of heavy drinking following his divorce from first wife Patricia Haines in 1962.

“Without her I would have been dead long ago. I would have probably drunk myself to death,” he told the publication. “I was a bit of a p**s artist when I was younger, I used to drink a bottle of vodka a day and I was smoking too, several packs a day.”

With so much stress surrounding his acting profession at the time, Michael found himself driven into an unhealthy lifestyle.

Things didn’t end badly though, as Shakira swooped in to make amends and helped calm the actor down. She does more than just provide emotional support too, as Michael reminded people that she plays a big role in organising his career.

“And she’s not the little wife; she runs the whole business side of my life,” he gushed. “She’s my right-hand man, my confidante.

“I tell her everything. I was famous when I met her, but I couldn’t have got this far without her. She is the most important person in my life.”

Michael has expressed this desire to be equal with his wife on many occasions in the past and previously explained that Shakira goes everywhere with him for work. The couple have daughter Natasha together, and Michael also has daughter Dominique from his time with Patricia.

With two girls, the veteran star finds himself getting protective.

"When you see the guys they bring home. And you go, 'Get rid of him.' And they go, 'No, I’m not going to do that,’” he grinned to Britain’s Esquire magazine.

No comments:

Post a Comment