Wednesday 6 January 2016

Sarah Silverman: 'Being funny was my way of surviving'

http://film-news.co.uk/images/news/cover/34797.jpg
Sarah Silverman used comedy as a means of surviving the depression which crippled her as a teenager.
The 45-year-old is one of America's top stand-up comics, but behind the laughs, her personal life has been marred by depression.
Sarah doesn't like feeling sorry for herself, though, and credits her mental illness with pushing her to pursue her dreams.
"I think people who are open books are boring, but I am one," she admitted to The Hollywood Reporter. "For the first 16 years of my life, I was a bed wetter. I was the kid at camp who woke up soaking wet, then made my bed like everyone else as if nothing was happening. It was such a shame-filled secret and so humiliating that at 17 the thought of doing stand-up was not at all daunting compared to the idea of going to a sleepover party. I became very funny as a means of survival."
However, Sarah had to revisit her depression to get into character for acclaimed new movie I Smile Back, in which she plays an upper-middle-class wife and mother struggling with mental illness and addiction.
The star had to bare all for some intense sex scenes, and Sarah admits it was a daunting prospect at first, because she had to face up to some of her own real-life insecurities.
"I was never naked in anything until I turned 40, now I'm naked in everything!" she laughed. "The scariest thing is taking off your bathrobe, and then it's fine. It's literally like putting your sneakers on to work out.
"But it's not like I'm totally (comfortable with my body). When Laney is looking in the mirror and lifting up her cheeks, that's me. I do that. I can feel my face falling off of my face. It's sliding slowly, like a really slow-moving horror movie."

No comments:

Post a Comment