Monday 18 January 2016

Bryce Dallas Howard: 'Acknowledging women action stars is vital'

http://www.film-news.co.uk/images/news/Bryce-Dallas-Howard.jpg
Bryce Dallas Howard sees women being honoured for action movies as a "cool and important" step forward.

The 34-year-old star attended the Critics' Choice Awards in Los Angeles last night (17Jan16), where she was nominated for the best actress in an action movie gong, alongside Charlize Theron, Jennifer Lawrence, Emily Blunt and Rebecca Ferguson.

Although Bryce lost out to Mad Max: Fury Road star Charlize, she was thrilled to be mentioned in the category for her role in Jurassic World.

"I love that there's a category like this. It's very cool, it's important," she told ET.

"When I said it's important, what I mean is that in films today, 31 per cent of speaking roles go to women, where 69 percent go to men. In action films, it's 23 percent. The fact that there's a category that acknowledges that, female actors in an action film, it's cool."

At the 2015 ceremony Bryce's father Ron Howard was honoured with the LOUIS XIII Critics' Choice Genius Award, something Bryce still finds moving when she considers it. She was on hand to support her director dad at the event and has no problem admitting she wept as he received the accolade, explaining she found his speech and the whole event very moving.

The 2016 ceremony had its own share of moving moments, such as when nine-year-old Room star Jacob Tremblay picked up the best young actor trophy. He was thrilled with the win and couldn't believe he'd beaten the likes of Abraham Attah (Beasts of No Nation), RJ Cyler (Me and Earl and the Dying Girl), Shameik Moore (Dope) and Milo Parker (Mr. Holmes) to scoop it.

"This is super cool. This is the best day of my life," he said on stage. "I first want to say thank you to all the critics who voted for me. It must be a super hard vote because of all the other great actors in this category.

"I also want to thank Team Room. I think that us working together made this movie come true and this award doesn't just go to me for that, it goes to all of you guys as well. I also want to thank my parents and I love them very much!"

He ended by stating he knew exactly where he'd store his trophy: "On the shelf, right beside my Millennium Falcon!"

No comments:

Post a Comment